Our Sponsors        
Active Language  Cadiz Casa    Blevins Franks   



Your friend in Chiclana

Voting in Spain
Friday, 17 December 2010

To vote in the 2011 Municipal Elections you must register at the town hall before January 15th. The Elections will take place on 22nd May 2011 and all foreign residents who are over 18 years of age or whose eighteenth birthday is on this day and who meet the requirements listed below may exercise their right to vote.

1) Be a foreign resident in Spain who has not acquired Spanish nationality but who is an EU citizen and complies with the requisite rules set out for citizens of Spain.

2) Be a foreign resident whose country of origin permits Spaniards to vote in the aforementioned elections, in accordance with the terms of an international treaty: Foreign residents from the following countries listed below fall into this category:
Argentina, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Iceland, New Zealand, Paraguay, Peru, Republic of Korea, Trinidad and Tobago and Uruguay.
3) They must be listed on the local Padrón or census of inhabitants.

4) They must be in possession of documents authorising their residency in Spain.
5) They must have resided legally in Spain for the length of time stipulated by the corresponding Treaty.
6) They must fulfil all other requisites which may be stipulated in the corresponding Treaty.
7) The requisites laid out above will be checked and authorised using data gathered from those inscribed in the Central Register of Foreign Residents.
Those wishing to register on the electoral role must lodge a request to do so at their local town hall. This may be done between 1st December 2010 and 15th January 2011 inclusive.

Click here for more information about voting in spain on the British Consulate website.


< Prev   Next >
Joomla Templates by Joomlashack