Our Sponsors        
Active Language  Cadiz Casa    Blevins Franks   



Your friend in Chiclana

Home arrow Legal Issues
Legal Issues
Certificado de Empadronamiento
Written by Yvonne Ferrier   
Friday, 21 June 2013

The Empadronamiento, also known as the Padrón Municipal de Habitantes, is a municipal register or census record, of the number of people who habitually live in the municipality. It is similar to the electoral roll. To register on the Padrón is to "empadronarse".

Spanish law requires you to register on the padrón at the Town Hall in the area in which you habitually reside for more than six months of the year. 

Why should you register?

Chiclana is allocated funds by central government for the provision of many things including health centres, schools, police, fire-fighters etc. The amount of these funds is determined by the number of people who live in the area according to the Padrón register. If you are not registered, Chiclana is losing money for the provision of many things.

Benefits to you for registering on the Padrón.

 •  Registration in schools and also applying for scholarships.

 •  Right to vote in elections. Once you have registered your padrón you need to ask to be registered in the "Censo Local" to be registered for voting.

  •  Right to the Ley de Dependencia and economical support  plus social assistance. Benefits such as these are only available after you have been registered for a minimum of one year.

  •  Access to classes/ training offered by the Town Hall.

  •  Celebrating civil marriages.

  •  Access to council housing. (In Chiclana this is done through Emissa)

  •  Access to Self Employed grants and benefits.

How to register on the Padrón

Take a copy plus the original of the following documents to the Department Estadisticas, this is located on the ground floor of the Town Hall

1. Copy and original of NIE or Residencia certificate

2. Copy of Rental Contract or Escritura (title deeds of your own property)

3. Latest copy of one of your utility bills such as electricity or water bill

Complete the application form; this is available at the Estadisticas office which is located on the ground floor of the Ayuntamiento Building.

You will normally receive the certificate straight away and there is no charge.

You must renew your registration every five years and if you move to another area you will need to register again in that area. To renew your Padrón registration just go to the Estadisticas office with your original Padrón cerificate and fill in the renewal form.

If you leave Spain or become non-resident it is important to de-register.

EU Citizens in Spain
Written by Yvonne Ferrier   
Thursday, 26 August 2010

This seven page booklet published, in English, by the Ministry of the Interior  covers all the regulations governing EU citizens living temporarily or permanently in Spain.

Click here to read or download this booklet in PDF format.  (2.29 MB)

For further information see the Ministry of the Interior  website.

Certificado de Antecedentes Penales
Written by Andy White   
Monday, 25 January 2010


If you are a resident in Spain and need to apply for a Spanish police certificate this is the quickest route on how to do it.
Certificado de Antecedentes Penales = a certificate of any criminal convictions etc - like the CRB checks in UK

Modelo 790

Download the 3 page pdf form from the Spanish Ministry of Justice here http://www.mjusticia.es/ use the search box for modelo 790.

Fill in the details, including the reason why you need the certificate. Take it to any bank and pay el importe 3.47€
Make sure all 3 pages are stamped by the bank. They keep 1 page.

The nearest Ministerio de Justicia is in Sevilla:
SEVILLA (Cádiz, Ceuta, Córdoba, Huelva, Sevilla)
Plza. de España, s/n. Torre Norte, 2.º, 41013 SEVILLA
Open 9am-2pm on weekdays

Voting in Spain
Written by Leslie Constable   
Saturday, 04 July 2009

If you are registered as a resident of Chiclana, you are entitled to vote at Local and European Parliament elections.

To be registered you need a ‘Volante de Empadronamiento’ which is obtained from the Ayuntamiento office at present located at 3 Calle de la Plaza. Take your Escritura, N.I.E. and passport for each individual and they will issue the certificates.

At the same time you can ask for a ‘Reclamacion al Censo Electoral’ to be completed which is your application to be included on the electoral roll for ‘foreigners’.

You will be notified by the Council as to which Polling Station to attend but at the time of an election, you will need to check that you are included on the ‘foreigner’ list posted at the Polling Station, if not, ask to be directed to the ‘official office’ which is open on the day of voting to deal with any problems.

Contesting Endesa Fines
Written by Temple Cambria   
Saturday, 24 January 2009




Juan Antonio of Temple Cambria, the Association’s legal advisor, has provided the following summary of the law relating to the fines which Endesa have been imposing upon some householders who have recently been provided with electricity meters. The fines are claimed to be in respect of electricity which has been “stolen” before the meters were installed (ie electricity which has been used before a legal connection is made).

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack